So this year I told my mom in January that I wanted to be "more grown up," like managing money better, paying some bills that are currently being paid by my parents, figuring out what I want to do when I grow up and finding out how much longer I have left in school and pushing through that as soon as I can. Needless to say this year has not been kind to me in my quest. For starters, I decided to buy a new car, I got it in my head that I needed an SUV in this Utah weather, however going from about 34 miles to the gallon to 19 or 20 on a really good week has been a little tough.
Don't get me wrong I love my new car, Millie as I like to call her, she is just super thirsty and I am not used to that since Franny lasted forever on a tank of gas.
Then I got a letter in the mail from my work, well the debt management center place from my work, saying that I owed them about $560. I have to take leave without pay in order to go to school, which in turn is the only way I can keep my job at the moment. However, at some point in the year last year somewhere along the lines of communication some of my LWOP hours that I entered into the system were not seen, so I was paid for hours that I really wasn't there, resulting in them coming back saying that I owe them for those hours. Luckily my dad is pretty much awesome and loaned me the money so that I could just get it taken care of and I could pay him back whenever I could. Sweet! Right?
Not so sweet after I did my taxes a week or so later (silly me thinking that I could use my return to pay him back.) I don't know what I did wrong when I did or did not put dependents on my W-2 last year, but I ended up owing both state and federal taxes for a total of about $400.
This year has not been my friend so far, I have owed the government almost $1,000, bought a new car that was a huge want and not a necessity, I also got a random bill from my dentist for $80 for something I had done in October of last year, oh and to top it all off I have been sick for at least 80% of this wonderful 2011 year so far. I went to the doctor twice, the first time (in February) it was a virus of some kind that I don't think ever fully went away and then again after not being able to smell or taste anything for more then a week, over Spring Break no less, I found out I had sinusitis, of which I am almost all the way done with (YAY!).
So my hopes for April are that I no longer get any out of the blue surprise bills, I do have to pay my taxes this month which I am not looking forward to though, the Bees season is here I am very excited about this it means that summer is just around the corner, the end of the month also brings an end to another terrible semester, which means I am that much closer to GRADUATION, and maybe I can get back on track for saving money.
So if there is anyone still with me on this one, Thank you I appreciate your time of which I took a lot of, and I apologize as well for the random ramblings of me, but I had to write it all down just to remember how terrible this year has been so far for future reference ;)

Welcome to adulthood and a never steady bank account! It SUCKS! I think I am going to get season tickets to the Bee's game so we can go all the time! I am glad you are starting to feel better!
ReplyDelete